Take-off, Landing, Radiator, Fuel mix, SE5a, servers and CTF

This is a repository of useful information from pilot flight reports etc to assist with pilot development. Please keep replies relevant to the subject line of the thread. When creating a new thread, please title the subject "Topics:" followed by brief descriptor of the topic(s) involved in your posting. This helps readers find information most useful/of interest to them.
J5_Schneider
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Take-off, Landing, Radiator, Fuel mix, SE5a, servers and CTF

Unread post by J5_Schneider » 16 Oct 2010, 20:07

Takeoff –
Good take-off routine is to check radiator (set to full open), check fuel mix (not needed on Central planes but set to full rich on Allied), cock guns and then go. Start engine and takeoff at full rich mix or back off a hair. Use tachometer to figure this out before you roll -- highest rpm's is correct mix. Use rudder to keep straight as you roll. Planes usually want to veer left (engine torque). Watch out for nose-over during takeoff -- be very gentle pushing forward on stick to raise tail during take-off roll. Tail comes up almost by itself as you accelerate -- plane lifts off at about 100 km/hr -- you can feel it get "lighter" -- plane may pull or bank right or (more often) left at take-off -- be ready for it and gently counter it. Go straight at very slight climb until speed is above 140 km/hr (70 mph). Then do whatever needed to fly mission.

Final approach for landing –
Make a longer more deliberate approach that you would RB3D. I usually fly by the field at about 300 ft (100m) with field on my left easily visible out left side at about 60-75% throttle. Then I make a long gentle left turn (most planes make a left turn naturally due to torque). I am now lined up about 1/2 km out at about 100 to 80m altitude and I am in a very gentle descent. I aim to touch down just past the edge of the field. I am reducing throttle all the way in on this last approach down to about 25%. Then use throttle to control altitude (more goes up, less goes down) and rudder to stay lined up. Watch out for stalls -- keep speed up at about 80 – 100 km/hr, cut throttle just before touching down.

Landing –
Touch down and when wheels and tail strut are down -- pull back on stick. This digs in tail strut and "brakes" plane. Landing speed (touchdown) is right around 70 to 80 km/hr. Ground loops -- when you land, your plane swerves hard as you slow down. As soon as it starts -- goose engine and hit rudder opposite swerve to straighten out then throttle to idle. This takes practice. Other method is to cut engine off to slow down quickly and avoid/minimize ground loops. Severe ground loop can collapse gear and even kill you in the game – trust me, I know this.

Capture the Flag tips using THE LAKE MAP –
Getting the Lake flag early gives much more flexibility in where you want to go. This location in the center of the map is always contested. SE5a is by far the best allied plane being fast and a climber. Cannot turn fight or you die. Nup28 is also a great climber; Spad13 is fastest plane in the game cruising at 220 plus km/hr -- a good plane for scouting and quick thrusts at unguarded flags. D5 is a good guard, but cannot outrun bad guys. D7 is a good choice to tag along for both offense and defense – mix some speed for attack and turning ability for defense into the group.

Special notes for Allied planes –
Fuel mixture is very important in allied planes (assuming this in effect on the server). All planes (Central and Allied) need to keep radiator open except on long dives with low throttle -- you can freeze your engine then if you are not careful -- so do not make long dives. You can also lose a wing if you do.

Be sure to lean out mixture as you climb. How to check for right mix? Check tachometer as you lean it out (or richer mix) and go for highest rpm's. Then you are set. Always add fuel back in as you descend using your tachometer again (enrich mix -- something I tend to forget!). Know where the tachometer is -- you will need it! It is on the lower right in the SE5a and right in front of you (center) in N28 and Spad13.

The fuel mix and radiator setting is not as hard as it sounds especially if you set your joystick buttons for lean/rich mix and open/close radiator.

SE5A tactics –
Stay high in the SE5a -- always -- and never try to turn with a D5 or any Central plane. The SE5a is a strictly Boom & Zoom. When in trouble in SE5a – full throttle and make a quick, short dive for speed. Then a long climbing turn (15 deg wing bank and pull back on stick to climb at 15-20 deg) is best escape maneuver done at full throttle. Turns in SE5a should be a high yo-yo (thanks, Ben for that pointer). Keeps energy up and gains alt. Your Lewis gun runs out quickly – even after 1 pass you could be low. Cock your guns frequently to be sure both guns are ready each pass. Questions on this? Ask Ben – he loves fast planes.

Server notes –
There are generally 2 types of servers – advanced and beginner/intermediate.

ADVANCED servers usually have icons off, no “fake” gauges; engine may not be warmed up for take-off, no RPM limiter (you can blow your engine on a dive), etc. This means it is very hard to spot enemy and keep track of friends. Flares help (hit F key) but this tells everybody where you are. The map in the lower right is of little use except for navigation. Example of an advanced server would be the COCO’s server or any server that says it is “full realism”. Full realism can also include weather, wind and such – this can be a real pain during take-off or landing in a blizzard or driving rain with a cross-wind.

BEGINNER/INTERMEDIATE servers usually have warmed up engines (you can takeoff immediately), simple gauges (they look a lot like the ones in RB3D), ICONS ON (friendly, enemy, navigation so you can see where you are going and who is there). The map in the lower right will show where everybody is but not give their height. There might also be RPM limiter on, infinite ammo or fuel, auto radiator or fuel mixture and other things like that. The NEWBIE server is a good example of this. These servers are for those who just want to fly and shoot.
Salute!
Image Image

J5_Sturm
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Unread post by J5_Sturm » 23 Oct 2010, 00:36

Great points Schneidie. Especially for a noob like me.
S*A*L*U*T*E ;o)
Herr Sturm
ImageImage