Plane combination during combat – JASTA 5

This is a repository of useful information from pilot flight reports etc to assist with pilot development. Please keep replies relevant to the subject line of the thread. When creating a new thread, please title the subject "Topics:" followed by brief descriptor of the topic(s) involved in your posting. This helps readers find information most useful/of interest to them.
J5_Vorlander
Oberfähnrich
Oberfähnrich

Plane combination during combat – JASTA 5

Unread post by J5_Vorlander » 07 Mar 2012, 10:58

The Albatross is the workhorse of Jagdstaffel 5 and a great fighter with a very stable gun platform to burn Crumpets but she does have her limitations.

The Unteroffizier fighter training manual talks about plane combinations for scout flights. This means it’s important to mix one or two planes during combat flights (2 x Alb. and 1 x DR1 or 3 x Alb. with 2 x DR1).

During a low turn engagements between an Alb. pilot with Pups and Camels (superior climb and turn rate) the enemy has much better change to shoot an Alb. pilot down.

But if there is 1 or 2 DR1 (superior climb and turn rate) in the mix with the enemy and the stable gun platform of the Alb. the success and survival of the flight will increase.

Mixing the planes will ensure that the pros of each Central Aircraft are used during engagement thus nullifying the cons of the Alb. and DR1.

Therefor JASTA 5 pilots need to become masters of all the central aircraft giving us a combative edge over the enemy.

Salute
J5_Vorlander
Fähnrich
Jagdstaffel 5

J5_Wolf
Leutnant
Leutnant

Unread post by J5_Wolf » 07 Mar 2012, 14:24

I agree Vorlander. It's good to have a mix of planes, We could have the Albatros used for anything under 2000 meters and then use the DR.I for anything up high. I for one will stay with the Albatros. I enjoy the DR.I but having the dive speed that the Albatros can do for short distances and not worrying about my engine dying out on me is key for me. But yes we could use pilots who want to learn the DR.I and stick with it. Only problem I see is the Allied side crying about the unfairness..... :wink:
J5_Wolf, Ltn.
"Know your enemy and use it against him."

Image Image
Image-Image