All things models. Beware the fumes!
J5_Rumey
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Modelers Corner

Unread post by J5_Rumey » 01 Apr 2011, 15:05

This work is nearing its end:

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 74&t=18717

What do you gents think? Especialy you Voss as I know you build models, keep in mind was a while ago I tried anything like this last time.

J5_Schneider
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Unread post by J5_Schneider » 01 Apr 2011, 15:47

Well done, sir. I like it. :)
Salute!
Image Image

Stachel KIA

Unread post by Stachel KIA » 01 Apr 2011, 19:25

DIZAM ... :shock:

Thats a sweet build indeed ... nice work :!:

J5_Gontermann, Ret.

Unread post by J5_Gontermann, Ret. » 01 Apr 2011, 19:40

Looks great rumey, nice work on the stripes

J5_Voss
Hauptfeldwebel
Hauptfeldwebel

Unread post by J5_Voss » 01 Apr 2011, 22:55

Cool, Rumey ! You painted the stripes ?! There were no decal stripes included ? That is tough, man. Nice job.
I recently bought the decals for Rumey's candybar albie. 1/72 however. Braillescale. ;-)
Cool too you left the hood off the engine. I like that for static models.
I would have weathered it a bit more though. This one is extremely factoryclean. :wink: High time for a spin, like Schneidie suggests. Make it dirty. :lol:
*I do not master the subtleties of an anglo native speaker. If you can't handle that, try addressing me in my own mothertongue.
*I have a peculiar sense of humour. That's just the way it is. Please notice the emoticons.

J5_Rumey
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Unread post by J5_Rumey » 02 Apr 2011, 04:46

Well thanks gents, yes factory clean nom nom. I am not done though, what would you suggest Voss? With the weathering? I mean I know all about wood and how to make that good, was thinking could splatter underside of wings with some dirt to. Give me a few tips?

J5_Voss
Hauptfeldwebel
Hauptfeldwebel

Unread post by J5_Voss » 02 Apr 2011, 13:39

I may be wrong, but by the looks of it you painted the model with a brush, am I right ? But no matter. Before you started painting, you should have preshaded. Make deeper parts black. Seams, junctures and welts or parts like lids and covers that throw the slightest shadow need darkening before you paint.
After that you should apply paint in several thin, almost transparant layers, so you can see the preshading through it.
I'll post some pics later, deal ?
You could darken the deeper parts afterwards by going with a sharp pencil through them. Then rub with a paper tissue to diffuse ( is that English ?! :oops: ) the pencil line. Maybe even some spit helps. :roll:
Anything for realism !
Don't worry about stains, because after all the weathering is done, you should secure the result with mat varnish. But I guess that's not so easy if you're not using an airbrush.
Parts of the plane that suffered much are the fuselage where pilots climbed into it, lower wings where wheels throw up dust and mud.
You drybrush those parts. Pick up paint with your brush, wipe it off and with a virtually dry brush apply the paint. Use cloth or tissue to fade the applied paint. You should know that trick, being a painter, Rumey ?! :wink:
Parts outside the engine should be really messy. Oil stains, dirty hand stains. The outlet of the radiator = under the topwing should be dirty. The right side where the exhaust is, has to be sooted as ofcourse the end of the exhaust itself.
*I do not master the subtleties of an anglo native speaker. If you can't handle that, try addressing me in my own mothertongue.
*I have a peculiar sense of humour. That's just the way it is. Please notice the emoticons.

J5_Voss
Hauptfeldwebel
Hauptfeldwebel

Unread post by J5_Voss » 02 Apr 2011, 13:48

I know it's not a doubledecker, but it's the same trick ofcourse.
This is what your model should look like before you start painting.

J5_Voss
Hauptfeldwebel
Hauptfeldwebel

Unread post by J5_Voss » 02 Apr 2011, 13:53

And you should apply paint in such thin layers, that afterwards you can still see the dark preshading shine through. Trying to add preshade afterwards so that it looks realistic is twice as hard ofcourse. For obvious reasons. ;-)

J5_Voss
Hauptfeldwebel
Hauptfeldwebel

Unread post by J5_Voss » 03 May 2011, 17:56

These pics of the albies I've been trying to finish over the last 5 years now have been here before, I seem to remember. Anyways, this is what preshading should do for your model.

J5_Nash

Unread post by J5_Nash » 03 May 2011, 21:30

Hmm Eduard if I'm not mistaken, I was wondering if you had ever built those two :wink:

J5_Voss
Hauptfeldwebel
Hauptfeldwebel

Unread post by J5_Voss » 04 May 2011, 15:46

Not finished yet, so still enjoying them bigtime, Flash ! Eduard rocks. King of 1/72 WWI planes. I will never stop loving you, Flash. :wink:

J5_Rumey
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Unread post by J5_Rumey » 04 May 2011, 17:05

You should really try one of the wingnut models, I think It would be real nice for you and 1/32 lets you do a lot more with the detail. Also Pheon models has come out with some neat decals for the wingnut 1/32 dv.

32010L rumeys deamon
32016 ltn wolf bravarian dimonds
32017 and 32021 contains stickers for makeing another 14 j5 birds.

also lozenge decals for dva wings 32020 blue tapes 32020 pink tapes

they really looks super saw them in latest edition of windsock worldwide.

J5_Voss
Hauptfeldwebel
Hauptfeldwebel

Unread post by J5_Voss » 04 May 2011, 17:20

Sorry, no room for anything bigger than 1/72. Not much of a challenge either detailling anything bigger, I think. I agree: you get more detail, but that just goes with the scale. I like to scratchbuild details and make my life more complicated than it is. Just like with women. With all due respect ! Every modeler his favourite scale ! :wink:

J5_Nash

Unread post by J5_Nash » 04 May 2011, 20:12

Vossie, from where I sit a the moment (in the Dadcave as my son calls it)I can see 12 unbuilt boxed WWI 1/72 kits on my shelfs and I realy do need to have a good clear out, theres another Eduard Alb DV (not a Jasta 5 Special like the other 2) with a sprue of that imposibley fiddley etched brass stuff, some old (yup realy old) Revell and Airfix stuff, just noticed the old Revell Alb DIII has a set of Vossie decals! interested?