Modelers Corner

All things models. Beware the fumes!
J5_Wolf
Leutnant
Leutnant

Unread post by J5_Wolf » 06 May 2012, 18:52

Vossie no problem man, Im not upset or defensive I thought you were upset with me....... :wink:

I meant I corrected my post about the U-Tube videos, didnt see yours there....Salute!
J5_Wolf, Ltn.
"Know your enemy and use it against him."

Image Image
Image-Image

J5_Vorlander
Oberfähnrich
Oberfähnrich

Re: Modelers Corner

Unread post by J5_Vorlander » 31 Jan 2013, 21:54

My Pfalz Diiia from wingnuts.

First try. Better tools and more patience will help me 2.
:oops:

J5_Vorlander
Fähnrich
Jagdstaffel 5

J5_Voss
Hauptfeldwebel
Hauptfeldwebel

Unread post by J5_Voss » 31 Jan 2013, 22:46

hehe,modeling: something entirely diff than rad closed, throttle down, dive and try not to rip your wings off, isn't it ? :wink:
Better tools is not the prob. Patience, fair enough. Painting and sorting the right effect is merely a question of learning to see. What does it really look like ? And then try to reproduce it. The best brushes I have to finish a model are the ones most worn out. Especially if it comes down to WWI models.
For example the seat of your model. First of all I'm amazed a wingnut chair isn't more detailed ?!
Second: if you want to reproduce wood, you are going to need worse tools. :wink:
Use a worn out brush and a transparent orange ( tamiya clear orange X-26 ) for a layer over the canvas yellow to simulate wood. Make fast and overlapping strokes to get the grain of the wood. It's going to end up glossy and a while to dry, but then you just varnish it matt afterwards. Easypeasy.
Keep us posted, wingclipper ! :wink: :wink:
*I do not master the subtleties of an anglo native speaker. If you can't handle that, try addressing me in my own mothertongue.
*I have a peculiar sense of humour. That's just the way it is. Please notice the emoticons.

J5_Vorlander
Oberfähnrich
Oberfähnrich

Unread post by J5_Vorlander » 31 Jan 2013, 23:10

Thanx Voss,

I'm enjoying it. I know this Is not going to be my last one. :D
J5_Vorlander
Fähnrich
Jagdstaffel 5

J5_Rumey
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Unread post by J5_Rumey » 03 Feb 2013, 13:56

Man Voss we so have to meet have so many things I would like to learn about this stuff. And nice work so far Vorlander.

J5_Voss
Hauptfeldwebel
Hauptfeldwebel

Unread post by J5_Voss » 03 Feb 2013, 18:54

Surprised you think there's so much to learn, Rumey ?! You being such a good painter. You've been taught as well as I have how to work with different layers of transparent colours. And your drawings surely prove you have learned to see and reproduce what you see. It's just a question of buying the right modeler's paints and practice the same principles.

Last week Numm was suggesting Antwerp and Amsterdam aren't that far apart and that we should get together. He may have been drunk at the time, not sure. ;-)
I will never be drunk enough to suggest something similar. ;-))
And you, Rumey, were asking about how long a drive it would be from Bremen to Antwerp.

I checked it and it seems I was a bit to pessimistic about the distance. It's roughly 450 kms to Antwerp. And to Amsterdam a modest 100 kms less for you from Bremen.
*I do not master the subtleties of an anglo native speaker. If you can't handle that, try addressing me in my own mothertongue.
*I have a peculiar sense of humour. That's just the way it is. Please notice the emoticons.

J5_Voss
Hauptfeldwebel
Hauptfeldwebel

Unread post by J5_Voss » 03 Feb 2013, 19:41

Which reminds me, gents: a lot of modelers use oil paint to get the right effect. For obvious reasons. Long drying time, you can keep on manipulating for structure while drying. Oil painting rules for details. Even diluted inks for accents in recesses. Especially on modern and larger scale planes.
Ofcourse using oil paints requires some knowlegde of the right medium recipes and their effect. When you use oil paints, you need a ground layer for sure too. Oil paint will eat away the material in time. Especially wood !!!
And what you need to do with all plastic parts: wash them first !!! If you do not, then your paint will come off in time. Plastic parts are covered with a layer of grease they apply to avoid them from sticking to the mold. You absolutely need to remove that before you paint. I use Mr. Muscle. Very effective ! Ask the wife. ;-)
Simple soap will do as well as an alternative.

J5_Voss
Hauptfeldwebel
Hauptfeldwebel

Unread post by J5_Voss » 03 Feb 2013, 19:47

Here's a wingnut gentleman who knows what he's doing:

http://www.hobbylink.tv/tips-for-buildi ... gnut-wings

J5_Rumey
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Unread post by J5_Rumey » 04 Feb 2013, 09:26

Nice link Vossy. Will have a propper read trough tonight.

Hmm not that far lets grab Numm and Lupfch and see if we can try to set a date?

J5_Vorlander
Oberfähnrich
Oberfähnrich

Unread post by J5_Vorlander » 05 Feb 2013, 11:19

some touch up work to be done.

really enjoyed building the engine.

J5_Vorlander
Fähnrich
Jagdstaffel 5

J5_Rumey
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Unread post by J5_Rumey » 06 Feb 2013, 12:03

Nice Vorlander! They make some lovely engines dont they. If I could get my hands on a original and working/refurbished Mercedes DIIIa I would seriously build it into a car if not a replica airplane just for the sound. :)

Sooo are you going to paint the horse on it?

J5_Vorlander
Oberfähnrich
Oberfähnrich

Unread post by J5_Vorlander » 06 Feb 2013, 12:47

me paint horse? hell no.. I will really F-up the model

:lol:
J5_Vorlander
Fähnrich
Jagdstaffel 5

J5_Tabasco
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Unread post by J5_Tabasco » 07 May 2013, 21:49

Check out 'Uschi Van der Rosten's' weathering decals on facebook-- https://www.facebook.com/uschi.vanderro ... ts&fref=ts
companyd.co.uk

=IRFC=Artun

Unread post by =IRFC=Artun » 09 May 2013, 20:35

Meanwhile, on the correct side of the trenches...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEAuclg2EIc

J5_Numm
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Unread post by J5_Numm » 06 Jul 2014, 21:54

Here is one kit I made years ago,
the last surviving plane of my airfleet.
Children are worse then war,
playing around with these kind of models
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Berti wants to kill crumpets