Which paints for J5 modelling?

All things models. Beware the fumes!
J5_Schotte
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Which paints for J5 modelling?

Unread post by J5_Schotte » 06 Oct 2011, 15:19

Salute!

I have recently become the proud owner of a dinky (1/72) Airfix model of an Albatros DVa. I had intended to paint this in an approximately Jasta5 scheme using some old paints I had lying around, however the wife didn't realise and threw out the paints.

So, now that I have no paints I thought it might be worthwhile to investigate which actual colours (such as revell/humbrol paint numbers) would be best suited to painting in Jasta5 schemes. I realise there will be some version of white and green in there, but being cursed with red-green colour-blindness I am unable to gauge for myself the specific colour requirements.

At the moment I feel I need the following: black for undercoat/shading; white for fuselage; green for tail; red for tail piping (and nose/prop?).

Can any of you fellows used to modelling clue me in some more?

Schottland über alles

Schaefer

Unread post by Schaefer » 06 Oct 2011, 15:42

Humbrol...but you will need to mix some to get the effect you desire. I use the common plates that we have around and play with the colors using a base of humbrol colors. I have also used this sight as a base templet:

http://www.misterkitusa.com/index.html

J5_Schotte
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Unread post by J5_Schotte » 08 Oct 2011, 16:57

Thanks for the tips Shaefer. I got myself a handful of paints and even picked up another DV (1/48).
I fear I may have to handpaint myself some decals though, unless I want edelweiss =[]

Schottland über alles

J5_Voss
Hauptfeldwebel
Hauptfeldwebel

Unread post by J5_Voss » 09 Oct 2011, 07:23

Pictures, please !!! *drool*
*I do not master the subtleties of an anglo native speaker. If you can't handle that, try addressing me in my own mothertongue.
*I have a peculiar sense of humour. That's just the way it is. Please notice the emoticons.

J5_Schotte
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Unread post by J5_Schotte » 08 Dec 2011, 15:46

Sorry Voss, I have managed to completely overpaint nearly all detail on the 1/72 alby. Too ashamed of it to show pics. I did try to do some faint pencil lines for effect but I think I may have to wipe it clean and restart.

I am thinking about splurging for a cheap beginners spraying kit if I can justify the cost. On that note, I was looking at a couple of ebay listings, if you gents want to advise, by all means do so. =]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110787089652
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190611949834

Schottland über alles

Schaefer

Unread post by Schaefer » 08 Dec 2011, 15:53

One comment...a Badger internal mix spray gun will serve you best.

J5_Voss
Hauptfeldwebel
Hauptfeldwebel

Unread post by J5_Voss » 09 Dec 2011, 11:03

The second auction ended in the mean time. Did you get one, Scottie ?
I don't know the brand of the first one. But it's a double action, which is sweet for 1/72 models. I have a simple masterclass by revell, which is more than enough for a starter.
http://www.revell.de/index.php?id=210&K ... 39107&sp=1

Don't go too expensive if you have never done it before. It might not suit you at all. It's a way of life, kinda, so don't think it's going to be a lot easier than painting. And it takes careful maintenance if you want the thing to keep working like it should.
*I do not master the subtleties of an anglo native speaker. If you can't handle that, try addressing me in my own mothertongue.
*I have a peculiar sense of humour. That's just the way it is. Please notice the emoticons.

J5_vonKramer

Unread post by J5_vonKramer » 04 May 2012, 03:13

I have a paasche VL double action that I bought used at a yard sale, and it's worked marvelously for me.

I'm very definitely a novice, but airbrushing is the proverbial bee's nuts for some projects.

For paint I prefer Tamiya acrylics.

S!

-vK

Schaefer

Unread post by Schaefer » 10 Jun 2020, 11:28

S~

Be very careful with acrylics in an airbrush. If the clean-up is not surgically done you can have a problem. Over time the paint residue builds up inside the tips/channels. Once it hardens it then becomes a very serious issue because it is layered and progressively harder to a paint where it can not be "cut" or cleaned with thinner. I use humbrol enamels in a Badger 175-7 and it's really easy to keep the gun clean.

Last bumped by Anonymous on 10 Jun 2020, 11:28.