How to skin a plane on GIMP - Tutorial

Pictures (including digital) and other forms of Art.
Lehmann
Visiting Pilot

How to skin a plane on GIMP - Tutorial

Unread post by Lehmann » 05 Jan 2013, 16:00

Tutorial on skinning with The GIMP for ROF (simple and easy)

Well first a few notes. I got the version 1.6 of GIMP, it`s a great tool and it`s for free. You can do so many things with it, it`s a really proffesional thing.

STEP 1
Download the Templates for the plane you want to skin!

You can find them in the Useful Material Page in the ROF Forum. Here`s the link: http://riseofflight.com/en/community/usefulmaterials
On the very left side you see the planes. In my example we will try to skin the plane Pfalz DIII. So klick on the button and download the stuff.
Takes a few seconds...
Now you have downloaded the Pfalz DIII template, we will have to work with it. Now extract the donloaded folder and put the PSD File on your Desktop.
The other stuff and the rest of the folder you can put into the trash, nobody needs that :)
So, open the PSD File with GIMP (if not srandart program right click and open with GIMP)
STEP 2
Work with GIMP
GIMP.PNG
Okay, now your screen should look like the attachment up there. You have in total 3 Windows opened.
Well the first important thing is to select the only available option, just have a look on the red arrow!
[If you can`t open the Attachment: Left window on the very top of the window klick on the little arrow wich is showing down and select the only option.]

The nest step it to select the Layer we can work with. It is mostly called "DRAW HERE". As you can see in the picture, I marked it blue, it is usually one of the last. Don`t forget to open the tab "Layers".

So: Click on DRAW HERE, just click on it.

STEP 3
The Fun :wink:
And than it`s getting funny, do what you want, draw on the skin. If you want to know how GIMP works, what you can do with it or such stuff, feel free to ask, just post it in here! I may answer it with another tutorial on that if you allow.
In the right windows is the toolbox.

IMPORTANT THINGS YOU GOTTA REMEMBER!!!!
Don`t use bright colours! For example yellow, always keep it darker as you want, not a bit, but a bit more.
EXAMPLE:
GIMP2.PNG
You see? It always must be darker than the colour you want. Because the Game ROF is making so much stuff sooooo much brighter.

Don`t forget to make all the stuff you painted darker. At this tutorial we will do only a little painting, nothing nice and special.
And if you want to paint white: WHITE MUST LOOK LIKE GREY ON THE PSD!!! REMEMBER THIS! :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

Okay, now we have painted some stuff on that PSD and now it`s getting trickie!

STEP 4
Saving skins as DDS files

Okay, now step for step!

So we finished painting now what we have to do?

Code: Select all

1. Save the PSD as a PSD because we can`t edit it later anymore.
2.Save our work as BMP
3.Darker the BMP
4. Save the BMP as DDS Texture-
File / Save as : just name it: Test.psd

File / Save as : Test.bmp [ for example on the desktop - this is the file we need to work with ]
So: Now we saved it as a bmo as well.

CLose GIMP and right click on the BMP file: open with / TheGIMP
Than you click on colors (in the taskbar where you can find File ; Edit ; Select...) and select Brightness and Contrast.
BRIGHTNESS: -100

-And do not wonder how dark it becomes :D

Than click on File / save as... / Test.bmp

The other file can be deleted.

In No.4 we work with a programm called DXTBMP. It is a really usefull tool and it`s free!

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... TBmp.shtml

After installing the progam (no virus or trojan :mrgreen: ; but if you want you can download it form many other locations too)
you have to open your darked BMP file with this program.

And now minimize this wondow we need it in a few minuts.

Now save the alpha channel of the Pfalz DIIIa as BMP and than we open it and paste it into our BMP, the window we just have minimized!

No go to your rise of flight folder!

ROF-Folder / data / graphics / Skins :arrow: and now (in our example) you have to select the Pfalz DIII folder.

In this folder now you select the first file, if you sort them with names.
Open htis file with DXTBMP also.

Now look at the pictue!
GIMP3.PNG
Can oyu see the red line on the right? Click on the symbol above and save it somewhere you can find it, the best would be if you name it "PD3ALPHA.bmp" or so.

Than close htis windows and go back to "your" BMP window.

Now we have to paste the alpha channel we have just exported. Click on "Import Alpha Channel" [Look where the red line was, the very left simbol in same line]

Now select the Bmp, called PD3ALPHA.bmp.

Now you can see a little grey piccture appear in the upper right corner.

Now save it as a DDS.Texture.

Do :arrow: File / Save as / DDS Texture - - - - - - and than :

Name of the File: I`ll make:" PfalzTestSkin"

And the field below (don`t know how it is in english :oops: ): DDS DXT5

Where to place it? Just do: ROF-FOlder / data / graphics / Skins / PfalzD3a ............Save

Okay and that`s it chaps.
Now close all that annoying windows and open the ROF launcher!
Now start the game in the mods off mode.

And now select the D3a and have a look on your skin.

SOME NOTES TO EARLY SKINNERS:
Don`t become crazy , this is a hell of work and don`t get angry if the skin doen`t look good, you will make it with some training.
It will take its time but you will see... And important is that you always make this skins a bit dark, okay?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But what if...?

What if the skin is too bright?

Open the BMP with Gimp and make it darker, than the rest the same as in the tutorial here, sry... a lot of work but you will see :D

What if the skin looks ugly?

Just open the psd you saved and edit your skin! And dont forget, you got to do everything from the begining again!

Well I don`t own Photoshop, don`t know why but if you have questions just post it here or tell me how you make it.
And sorry if you don`t understand the stuff/ my english, but I speak much better than I write! :mrgreen: :roll: :wink:

Anyhow, good luck and enojoy your skins you make! Post them here :lol: 8)

Lehmann
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lehmann on 06 Jan 2013, 21:21, edited 4 times in total.

J5_Wolf
Leutnant
Leutnant

Re: How to skin a plane on GIMP - Tutorial

Unread post by J5_Wolf » 05 Jan 2013, 16:37

I use Paint Shop Pro for my skins...
J5_Wolf, Ltn.
"Know your enemy and use it against him."

Image Image
Image-Image

J5_Vorlander
Oberfähnrich
Oberfähnrich

Unread post by J5_Vorlander » 05 Jan 2013, 21:59

Salute Herr Lehmann,

Pls post it.

Thanking you
J5_Vorlander
Fähnrich
Jagdstaffel 5

Lehmann
Visiting Pilot

Unread post by Lehmann » 18 Jan 2013, 21:52

If you want you can post your results here and if you have any questions just write it in here :D

Enjoy,
Lehmann

J5_Matthias
Leutnant
Leutnant
Location: Martinsburg, West Virginia, United States of America

Unread post by J5_Matthias » 18 Jan 2013, 22:52

Thanks Lehmann I'll defnitely take a look at this when I have some time.
J5_Wolf wrote:I use Paint Shop Pro for my skins...
GIMP is good for the less artistically saavy - I can't figure out shop without having a book right next to me to look everything up. And before GIMP I used to do a lot of work pixel by pixel in ms paint... ...yeaaaah :roll:

GIMP is a godsend
J5_Matthias
Jagdstaffel 5
ImageImageImage

Lehmann
Visiting Pilot

Unread post by Lehmann » 21 Jan 2013, 17:51

J5_Matthias wrote:Thanks Lehmann I'll defnitely take a look at this when I have some time.
J5_Wolf wrote:I use Paint Shop Pro for my skins...
GIMP is good for the less artistically saavy - I can't figure out shop without having a book right next to me to look everything up. And before GIMP I used to do a lot of work pixel by pixel in ms paint... ...yeaaaah :roll:

GIMP is a godsend
Really, GIMP is great, you need to take some work on it but you will have it soon! ;)
And it`s more proffesional I thought! :D

Lehmann