Glitch?

J2_Hornet
Visiting Pilot

Glitch?

Unread post by J2_Hornet » 18 Sep 2016, 06:03

Playing for entente, our recon pilot didn´t get a message upon landing or a point in the score table for the southern most German marshalling yard. We got a message upon landing and point for the objective just north of that. 15 photos were taken, the "complete" message came up, and photos were brought safe home. This (not getting the message upon landing) also happened to me once on the first testing map, but then it was in the north sector, not in the south. We are supposed to be able to do both using one recon plane for each objective, aren´t we?

J5_Matthias
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Location: Martinsburg, West Virginia, United States of America

Re: Glitch?

Unread post by J5_Matthias » 19 Sep 2016, 09:31

I will look into it. Who was the recon pilot and does he have any photos?
J5_Matthias
Jagdstaffel 5
ImageImageImage

J2_Hornet
Visiting Pilot

Unread post by J2_Hornet » 19 Sep 2016, 21:19

It was J2_Marx. He may have been recording, shall ask him.

J2_Marx
Visiting Pilot

Unread post by J2_Marx » 22 Sep 2016, 16:24

J5_Matthias wrote:I will look into it. Who was the recon pilot and does he have any photos?
I definatly saw the message that the recon was completed (others saw it too) but i didn't take a screenshot....

J5_Matthias
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Unread post by J5_Matthias » 24 Sep 2016, 11:44

I apologize for the delay but I wanted to be 100% certain of my answer before I posted.
I have extensively looked into this and reviewed all the photo recon logic. I found no issues or breaks.
However after examining the parser logs...

It appears that J2_Marx's your DH4 was disabled and technically "crashed" (maybe blew the engine up descending or it ran out of fuel?) , which would prevent the recon from being completed - even if you made it back to base. That's sort of a hard coded ROF thing, not my mission giving you a hard time. Since the popup messages for both the recon points in a sector are the same, it may have LOOKED like the recon was completed when in fact, it was the recon of the other marshalling yard coming home at a similar time.

The messages related to each sector ARE kept seperate however on your screen when they pop up during flight. Messages for the most North/East sector are in the lower left. Messages for the Center are in the lower center. Messages for the South/West are kept in the lower right.

Thanks,

Matthias
J5_Matthias
Jagdstaffel 5
ImageImageImage

J2_Trupobaw
Visiting Pilot

Unread post by J2_Trupobaw » 24 Sep 2016, 12:02

It appears that J2_Marx's your DH4 was disabled and technically "crashed" (maybe blew the engine up descending or it ran out of fuel?) , which would prevent the recon from being completed - even if you made it back to base. That's sort of a hard coded ROF thing, not my mission giving you a hard time.

Are you certain of that? Because I crash recon planes on wargrounds all the time and as long as the wreck ends on running field recon is completed.

I recommend that Entente recon pilots make screenshots and record tracks both of taking few photos and landing their planes, just in case.

J2_Marx
Visiting Pilot

Unread post by J2_Marx » 24 Sep 2016, 16:28

J2_Trupobaw wrote:It appears that J2_Marx's your DH4 was disabled and technically "crashed" (maybe blew the engine up descending or it ran out of fuel?) , which would prevent the recon from being completed - even if you made it back to base. That's sort of a hard coded ROF thing, not my mission giving you a hard time.

Are you certain of that? Because I crash recon planes on wargrounds all the time and as long as the wreck ends on running field recon is completed.

I recommend that Entente recon pilots make screenshots and record tracks both of taking few photos and landing their planes, just in case.
If i remember correctly i broke the prop on landing but returned the photo's. Bit harsh not to give a point for that but ok.....means i have to be more carefull :shock:

J2_Trupobaw
Visiting Pilot

Unread post by J2_Trupobaw » 25 Sep 2016, 19:17

Jerry form 1PL encontered the same glitch yesterday, in this sortie

http://162.248.94.112/sortie/8186/

He definetlty did not crash because he brought the photos back to active fighter field, got no results, took off and flied his plane to two-seater field, where he again got no results.

Do recons need to return plates to their home field?

J5_Matthias
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Unread post by J5_Matthias » 26 Sep 2016, 22:36

J2_Trupobaw wrote: Are you certain of that? Because I crash recon planes on wargrounds all the time and as long as the wreck ends on running field recon is completed.
Yes, I'm 100% certain. It has to do with what ROF considers a "disabled" airplane. A disabled plane cannot complete a recon. You can break one or two wings, you can even cut your tail off, and a recon can be completed because the game requires a massive percentage of your airframe to fail before the game considers the plane no longer airworthy and therefore disabled. EXCEPT - for the engine. The engine is a single point of failure and the absolute number 1 reason why a plane becomes disabled and loses the ability to complete a recon.

An engine (and thus the plane unless multi engine see below) becomes disabled when:
-The prop is shattered
-The engine reaches a point where it seizes or nearly completely seizes due to progressive operational damage (overrev-temperature-lack of oi) or else immediate weapon damage.
-A completely airworthy plane runs out of fuel and becomes a glider.

A damaged engine which is babied by the pilot can keep a plane from becoming disabled, in some cases, and in some conditions permanently. For instance, some planes operating in lower temperature environments can keep their engines operating with no water left in their radiators by reducing under a certain throttle setting.

Also, multi engine aircraft must have ALL engines reach a "disabled" status before the plane itself is considered disabled.

This is why - and feel free to try this - you can land a Gotha, have it do a complete flip on it's nose, finish flight, and have it return to the airfield inventory INTACT - because at least one of the engine props never struck the ground and the engine still is intact. Similar shinanagins also occur commonly with the Airco DH.2 and FE2b.

And in regards to Jerry and his recon flight, just have a look at the parser log.
24.09.2016 16:49:43
1PL-Jerry-2Esk [Airco D.H.4] has damaged (1.0)
1PL-Jerry-2Esk [Airco D.H.4] was disabled
24.09.2016 16:49:48
1PL-Jerry-2Esk [Airco D.H.4] crashed on the ground
24.09.2016 16:51:04
1PL-Jerry-2Esk [Airco D.H.4] has finished

See that disabled line? That was it, that was the end for his recon. Something occurred either when he attempted to touch down or else just before that to his engine more than likely, and the photo plates were destroyed. Now I know a prop strike shouldn't realistically destroy your photo plates, nor should running out of gas, but this is the way the photo recons and ROF are coded and there is absolutely NOTHING I can do to change that because it's not on my end! If I could I would, believe me because I have been on the receiving end of that after an hour or two long flight too many times to count.
J5_Matthias
Jagdstaffel 5
ImageImageImage

1PL-Jerry-2Esk

Unread post by 1PL-Jerry-2Esk » 27 Sep 2016, 07:33

J5_Matthias wrote:
And in regards to Jerry and his recon flight, just have a look at the parser log.

See that disabled line? That was it, that was the end for his recon. Something occurred either when he attempted to touch down or else just before that to his engine more than likely, and the photo plates were destroyed. Now I know a prop strike shouldn't realistically destroy your photo plates, nor should running out of gas, but this is the way the photo recons and ROF are coded and there is absolutely NOTHING I can do to change that because it's not on my end! If I could I would, believe me because I have been on the receiving end of that after an hour or two long flight too many times to count.

After the 15 images in the North I landed without damage on an active airport Courcy. There was no massage about the completion of recon.

Possibility to re-start indicates that the motor was operational. Only then flew to its airport and there at the landing plane was damaged.

Then 1 PL-Shoki made the same recon properly and also there was no message about completing.

J2_Trupobaw
Visiting Pilot

Unread post by J2_Trupobaw » 27 Sep 2016, 09:22

J5_Matthias wrote:
J2_Trupobaw wrote:
Well, please have a look at three lines above ones you quote

24.09.2016 22:05:50
1PL-Jerry-2Esk [Airco D.H.4] take off //first takeoff
24.09.2016 22:37:22
1PL-Jerry-2Esk [Airco D.H.4] has landed //landed the photos at Courcy after 30 minutes recon flight, got no results, was redirected to his home field
24.09.2016 22:39:52
1PL-Jerry-2Esk [Airco D.H.4] take off // second takeoff. His machine was not disabled when he landed photos first time
24.09.2016 22:49:43
1PL-Jerry-2Esk [Airco D.H.4] has damaged (1.0) //second landing attempt, 10 minutes after the first one
24.09.2016 22:49:43
24.09.2016 22:49:48
24.09.2016 22:51:04

So, again - are recon planes supposed to return photos to their home field or any active field? If the latter we definetely have a problem here.

J5_Matthias
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Unread post by J5_Matthias » 01 Oct 2016, 10:40

I know landing with photos at a non home airfield worked - because I did it successfully, at Courcy.

All I can suggest is that the aerodrome where Jerry landed may have been someplace else that was not active. If you land at an inactive field or on your side of the lines in a random spot, your plates are refreshed and if you have a completed set of pictures they go away and CANNOT then be turned in by flying to an active airfield.

I have double checked the photo completion routines this week and there's nothing different about how these missions are handling photo recons from any other.
J5_Matthias
Jagdstaffel 5
ImageImageImage

1PL-Jerry-2Esk

Unread post by 1PL-Jerry-2Esk » 01 Oct 2016, 10:55

All clear.
But if Courcy was active, then we would have 1 point for recon.
Probably but we keep weakpoint nord, who just before the end of the mission lost. 4 Point got the opposite side instead of us.

S!

JG1_Etzel

Unread post by JG1_Etzel » 03 Oct 2016, 21:28

Hi Matthias,

regarding this recon issue I have to say that it is not connected to the disabling of the plane: On Saturday I completed the central recon mission after Marx attacked me during I took my photos and damaged my fuel tank (Salute Marx, btw... *g*), on the way home I ran out of fuel but managed to glide home. You can see in the log that disabling happened ~3 minutes before the touch down (which was btw super-gentle and for sure no crash as the log says ;-P):
http://162.248.94.112/sortie/8591/
Never the less we got it completed:
2016_10_1__20_43_22.jpg
On the other side I had the same issue one week before on Entente side, but there was no reason at all that could explain why trigger was not raised:
Log shows no damage at all:
http://162.248.94.112/sortie/8010/
Pictures were completed:
2016_9_24__17_40_11_AircoAirborn.jpg
But on the ground, on the correct field no message came up:
2016_9_24__17_54_9_OnGround.jpg
...I don't know what is the background of this issue, but obviously it is not a question of the plane is being disabled or not.
One thing seems as a fact to me: This issue was connected to the Entente side, at least I know of at minimum 4 times this issues occured in Entente missions (spread over at least week 1 and 2, don't know about week 3) but I did not read about one single time it occurred on Central side... Maybe it is somehow connected to the situation that on Entente side there are 2 recon objects for each sector while on central side there was only one...? And this 2 objects per sector might lead to some triggering-confusion for the system....

Just my observations and an idea where to look for this issue to maybe help sorting this out for future Events!

Best Regards and many thanks once again!!!

Salute

Etzel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.