Gun convergence

This is a repository of useful information from pilot flight reports etc to assist with pilot development. Please keep replies relevant to the subject line of the thread. When creating a new thread, please title the subject "Topics:" followed by brief descriptor of the topic(s) involved in your posting. This helps readers find information most useful/of interest to them.
J5_Rumey
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Gun convergence

Unread post by J5_Rumey » 05 Nov 2011, 12:14

Made a small clip with some of my results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP8tml4c1lw

J5_Rumey
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Unread post by J5_Rumey » 02 Dec 2011, 13:50

Gents!!!

We really need to pick up on our gunnery all off us especially me. Now that we have parser data it is pretty clear that this is one of our greatest weaknesses. I suggest you all try to make the gunnery missions that are running Wednesdays and Thursdays, I will take all other missions out of rotation for now.

Use tracks that you record and parser data to find out when you hit and when you do not.

Please post any find you make here or if you have video showing what you have found out even better.

J5_Matthias
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Location: Martinsburg, West Virginia, United States of America

Unread post by J5_Matthias » 20 Jun 2012, 15:02

This is something I'm currently playing (and struggling) with.

My gun convergence has been set to 251 yards since shortly after I started playing.

I was on Syndicate last night and was banging away at a RE8 at 100 yards, both of us flying level, on his 6. I pumped 200 rounds into him with the tracers going into and bouncing off of his fuselage.

His radiator was hit early and he began pouring white smoke. After 15 seconds on him, my engine went up in flames and I was killed. Checking afterwards, my hit percentage was 0%... Makes no freaking sense.

Similarly, when I can't keep the sight on the target I point it in front and let the target walk into my fire. This according to the server stats often also apparently produces no hits.

I've also been using the collometer sight more and this does not seem to be improving my accuracy. Mainly, I'm concerned the tracers are not accurately reflecting the paths of the bullets I'm shooting.

Thoughts?
J5_Matthias
Jagdstaffel 5
ImageImageImage

J5_Wolf
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Unread post by J5_Wolf » 20 Jun 2012, 22:12

Hey Matthias,
I can only help you with your gun convergence. WWI planes are not like WWII planes. From the factory WWI german planes convergence was set to 350 from the factory. That is what I use. I tell newer pilots that once they start flyibng in ROF to use a setting of 250 to help them get use to hitting something. Once they have a good feel for shooting at something, I then tell them to go to 350. It gives you greater distance without losing much of the spread of the rounds.

If your main purpose is to go hunting down 2 seaters or spads, SE5 or any of the other faster planes then I recommend a setting of 500 meters. This will give you the maximum distance that your rounds are still effective but your spread of bullets will be just a bit more larger. I will be on this weekend from 8pm to midnight EST if you would like to practice, I can show you what I mean.....The main thing about ROF is that you must feel comfortable in your cockpit and then you will start to see your accuracy improve a great deal.....Again I'd be happy to show you ....

One question I do have is did you zero in your guns on each of your planes that you fly and hit the F10 key to save them?.....
J5_Wolf, Ltn.
"Know your enemy and use it against him."

Image Image
Image-Image

J5_Matthias
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Unread post by J5_Matthias » 21 Jun 2012, 15:12

J5_Wolf wrote:Hey Matthias,
One question I do have is did you zero in your guns on each of your planes that you fly and hit the F10 key to save them?.....
If by "zeroing" you mean making sure that the tracers seem to be lined up relative to the sights, then yes. I was not sure how to more "scientifically" zero my gun sights. This relates to my concern that the tracer rounds do not accurately reflect bullet paths. (a real life problem)
J5_Matthias
Jagdstaffel 5
ImageImageImage

J5_Vorlander
Oberfähnrich
Oberfähnrich

Unread post by J5_Vorlander » 21 Jun 2012, 19:25

Mine is set to 500m.
J5_Vorlander
Fähnrich
Jagdstaffel 5

J5_Schneider
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Unread post by J5_Schneider » 22 Jun 2012, 17:06

Agree with Vorlander -- guns are so close to together, they have already "converged" so I use 500 m.
Salute!
Image Image

J5_Berger

Unread post by J5_Berger » 24 Jun 2012, 16:10

I believe I use 500m as well.

J5_Wolf
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Unread post by J5_Wolf » 27 Jun 2012, 05:26

Well,
Now that 1.026 is out and loaded, I had to change my guns convergence from 350 down to 150. This is huge for me because I watched the rounds go from 350 meters and looking like a bunch of marbles being thrown in front of my guns that scatter wildly (aka the Shotgun Look) down to 150 meters to a more closer tight knit grouping of shots...I am just curious if you guys are playing with your gun convergence as well or did you leave your the way it was.....Since they have changed the way the guns are fired I find myself concentrating much more at the NME aircraft.....Over the next week I'll be testing and taking notes on the DV, DIII, Fokker DVII and DRI for gun convergence again. If anyone would like to assist me feel free to post here on your findings. This way we can get the Jasta dialing in to be real killers....
Salute Men!
J5_Wolf, Ltn.

Image Image
Image-Image

J5_Matthias
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Unread post by J5_Matthias » 27 Jun 2012, 12:42

Similar findings here Wolf, I'm playing with convergence at 150-200 meters right now. Probably going to end up at 150 or 175.

I have not noticed distinct differences in convergence between the different sync gear models, but I haven't tried any Allied weapon mods yet so I can't say regarding gun models varying convergence.
J5_Matthias
Jagdstaffel 5
ImageImageImage

J5_Wolf
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Unread post by J5_Wolf » 27 Jun 2012, 18:52

Here's a link to the gun dispersion, very very important read if you ask me.....

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 49&t=30944
J5_Wolf, Ltn.

Image Image
Image-Image

J5_Vorlander
Oberfähnrich
Oberfähnrich

Unread post by J5_Vorlander » 29 Jun 2012, 16:42

175m for me. Clip the wings of a crumpet with ease.
J5_Vorlander
Fähnrich
Jagdstaffel 5