- Posts: 730
- Joined: 15 Sep 2006, 01:13
- Location: South East, South Carolina
1 gal whole milk or 2% milk
1 cup greek yogurt live culture ( live cultures are yogurt that contain Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus Bulgaricus, S Thermophilus, Bifidus.)
1 cup Stevia (sweetener)
2 tablespoons vanilla ( can use extract if desired ) I use the extract
1.Heat milk on high in a crock pot to 180 to 190 degrees F ( about 3 to 3 1/2 hours )
2.when temp is reached unplug crock pot and let cool covered to 110 degrees F
3.at 110 degrees remove 1 cup of milk and combine with culture in a bowl NOTE: do not stir but fold in in order to fully combine the two ingredients ( will look thicker and smooth when fully combined )
4. combine the mixture with milk in the crock pot and mix in the same way the culture was combined with milk in the bowl.
5. when the culture mix and milk is fully combined put lid back on crock pot and wrap with 3 towels ( 1 towel wrapped in one direction the second towel wrapped in opposite direction around first towel and the third towel draped over the top and down the sides over the other two towels.
6. set timer for 10 hours
7. after 10 hours is complete you should have yogurt. At this point you can either separate the whey or just put the whole mix into a container then refrigerate.
8. If you choose to separate the whey you will need two large cullenders lined with cheese cloth and two lager bowels.
9. place yogurt into cullenders and let drain about 2 to 3 hours and once the whey is separated just place the two separated products into the fridge.
This is really GOOD and can be combined with fresh fruit that will give you and explosive good taste. Note: 4 quarts of yogurt bought in a store will cost you around 20 dollars US and making it yourself cost about 5 dollars